Sunday, March 22, 2015

Starting the modern day sport horse

Despooking

I loved watching this video, it shows soft, quiet training of young green horses.  Despooking on the ground seems to be limited to western or natural horsemanship style trainers and I think that's a mistake.  I think a good foundation on the ground directly influences better behavior under saddle.  Here young horses learn how to deal with things on the ground that they might eventually deal with at shows.  It makes them quiet, brave, and trusting of their riders.

I like how they hack out, work in the arena, work at liberty, and I LOVE the mounting block training.  I am flabbergasted at the number of riders who accept poor mounting block manners, launching themselves onto cavorting horses from 20 feet away.

The actual riding is super as well.

Check the video out, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

March has jokes

 My enthusiasm to ride has vanished again. Instead of riding I've been working on teaching the baby horses to tie.  Great drama ensued. ...