Thursday, January 29, 2015

She's a keeper!

I'm alive!!!  Had you a bit concerned huh?

The little black mare was fantastic in her first lesson.  She did great trailering, handled a new location  with a level head,  settled into a strange stall, took a tour of the facility.

I decided to hand walk her over all the poles first, I think I heard an audible sigh from my long suffering trainer as my brand new steed jumped the single pole on the ground like a gazelle then spun around me in a circle while snorting.

And thus I went for a riding lesson and got a lesson in leading.

Sadly I eventually had to get on and my trainer proceeded to kick my butt. It's been a while since I've ridden something green, and I've been taking it easy with her.  A big reason I wanted a lesson for deciding to purchase her was that I knew my trainer would push all of her and my buttons and if there was going to be a meltdown it was going to be here.

Despite being in a new environment, being asked to do new things, and being worked WAY past her (and my!) fitness level she did great!  She'd hesitate and see if I was really quite serious, and then trundle onward.



Here's a video!

So yesterday I made my purchase, money was exchanged for paperwork, and I am once again a horse owner.

Deeeeeeeep breath.

OH GOD what have I done.

6 comments:

  1. Yay!!! Congrats on the new horse! Does she have a name yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her barn name is going to be Stella and her registered name is Scotch at Dawn G but I have not figured out a show name for her for eventing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! Congrats on your pretty new pony!

    ReplyDelete
  4. she's lovely but I love how attentive and willing she was. I predict a lot of fun (good fun) in your future.

    ReplyDelete

March has jokes

 My enthusiasm to ride has vanished again. Instead of riding I've been working on teaching the baby horses to tie.  Great drama ensued. ...