Tuesday, January 31, 2023

What's in a lead rope?

The lead rope.  A tool that no horse person can do without.  A tool that every horse person probably has 45 of.  But what kind of lead rope do you use?


The cotton rope. A classic.  This one has a bull snap, which was made by people who hate other people.





 
The leather lead.  I have a few of these that I use for showing in hand.  I can't stand them for every day use they don't have a good grip on themI also prefer my chains to be detachable because I don't always need a chain and unless they are applied properly they can be dangerous (ever see a horse put a hoof through the loop?).




The nylon lead.  I prefer a nylon lead over a cotton lead.  I have no idea why.  I think because they are less bulky in the hand.

The Natural Horsemanship lead.  I talked shit about these for YEARS.  Who needed a special lead rope?   Then when I started being more aware of my horse's ground manners, when I needed to teach a horse to trailer load, when I needed something with enough weight to earn respect I found myself reaching for one.  The 10 foot length is perfect for having enough rope to handle a fresh horse, make one lunge around you, or to do all the natural horsemanship you feel like.  Yes, I even have the funny snap.  





2 comments:

  1. I’ve always been kinda picky about my lead ropes - length, feel, no knots …. But have somehow managed to hang on to the same rope for like almost 10 years at this point !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer the cotton lead, 10 ft long with a large brass snap, but they are getting hard to find these days! Especially for the price that I'm willing to pay! I just can't get with the nylon leads, although I have a bunch of them that I use when I am trailering as the cotton ones won't fit through the holes to tie the horses.

    ReplyDelete

March has jokes

 My enthusiasm to ride has vanished again. Instead of riding I've been working on teaching the baby horses to tie.  Great drama ensued. ...