Sunday, March 4, 2018

Solid in the saddle


Spring is in the air?  Or at least the prospect of another show season is looming and I've got goals!  I made a decision over the winter to expand my trainer horizons and do things with people that challenge me.  I'm signing myself up for clinics and I'm pushing myself by taking lessons with a variety of people.  I want to put a strong focus on my position over fences, and I've picked a HJ trainer to help me with that.  In general, no eventer is going to complain about you getting left behind, it's a position of safety to be in the back seat over a solid fence on questionable footing. 


While hunter jumper riders believe that a position that more closely follows the horse is better for the horse's form over fences on groomed footing.


On occasion I feel I have a semi solid position, but you can still see that my leg has slipped back


WAYYYY back

My hips don't fold and my default position is to stand in my stirrups.  While my hands have a good release, my lack of folding throws my legs back and I don't have a solid base in the air, which causes me to get left behind on the backside of the fence.  Potentially putting me off balance and punishing my horse.


I don't want to go in the opposite direction, the "hunter duck" or "praying mantis" which is an exaggerated trait that people feel shows off your horses big jump the best, but maybe we can meet in the middle?



2 comments:

  1. Yes, I think somewhere in between is perfect! I too struggle with folding at the hips (which leads to me jumping ahead). Riding the racehorses has definitely helped me find my fold and I'm curious to take a jumping lesson and see if it has improved my position over fences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've started trying to work on my position too - fences or no! It all needs work haha. But I think it's always great to diversify where you're learning from - hope this pans out and gives you some good stuff to work with!

    ReplyDelete

March has jokes

 My enthusiasm to ride has vanished again. Instead of riding I've been working on teaching the baby horses to tie.  Great drama ensued. ...