Monday, March 6, 2017

Trailer organization

I tend to get really anxious if things aren't running on time or according to plan so I combat my anxiety by organizing.  Everything has a place so I can quickly access things I need.  Works in life and in trailer organization.  Unless it's leaving a show, in which case I chuck everything in as fast as possible and head home for a shower and nap.  Nobody's perfect.

I've been working on organizing and increasing the storage capacity of my little dressing room while keeping things easy to reach and off the floor.

I really like the things offered at the Organized Barn but it's out of my price change (and I'm a do it yourselfer)  so for this blog post, I'm going to show you how I did my own organized wall.



I started with these  Grid Storage Cubes.  You can get them pretty much anywhere that offers home improvement items.  I got mine at Target.

I never actually got them to organize stuff, but to house my bunny.  House rabbit people use these grids to construct all sorts of sturdy and amazing cages that far exceed the availability in your local pet store.

Here's my bunny in his cage as well as my cat,  Simon.



Since we are doing cat pictures all of a sudden, here's another view of the cage and my other cat, Zoe.



I pieced together the bunny cage and my grid using regular zipties.


If you don't want to go with the storage cubes a slightly more expensive way are Grid Wall Panels.  It's what you use at a store to hang merchandise.  You can get them by googling and pick them up from any number of stores or right off of Amazon.


While you're at it, pick up some grid wall baskets (the kind with regular hooks and not peg hooks).  You can also use the kitchen organization baskets with the little hooks for hanging on the inside of your kitchen cabinet doors.

I got a couple that I actually zip-tied on because they didn't come with hooks.







Now for the attaching part.  The downsides of a steel trailer are weight and rust.  The upside is that anything magnetic sticks!  I have multiple magnets, they hold up my organizer on the door, a tack hook rack, and even my broom.  I use these 65lb hooks from Master Magnetics.  Careful when attaching these, they are VERY hard to remove and do a great job at holding heavy things.  If you have an aluminum trailer it's a little harder because you need to get your grid welded on.




Here's the finished project.  I don't have the right stuff in the right baskets, but you get the idea.



2 comments:

  1. I like that idea a lot! I'm planning on doing SOMETHING to better organize my trailer for shows this year so I don't have to keep lugging my giant trunk back and forth out of the dressing room. Such a PITA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, love this blog and the detail! I am put off by how expensive the online barn/trailer organizing systems are and this is a great alternative.

    ReplyDelete

March has jokes

 My enthusiasm to ride has vanished again. Instead of riding I've been working on teaching the baby horses to tie.  Great drama ensued. ...