Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Mobility IV

Welcome back to part IV in my mobility series!  Here I'll show you pictures of the trailer I purchased!!!!!!!!!!

I was actually truck shopping and when I called about a truck someone used to pull their trailer with I just offhand inquired about the trailer, wanting to get a good guess of the capabilities of the truck.  Then I asked if the trailer was for sale too.  Then I bought both.

What I bought was a 1982 WW trailer.  In my budget I was generally going to get either a steel trailer with a dressing room or an aluminum trailer without.  What I liked and disliked about this trailer was the size.  I did have some reservations about the height and width but my 14.2 hand mare fits perfectly but if I was to purchase a bigger horse I'd probably have to sell this trailer to someone with small horses.  The bonus of being a smaller trailer is I got a dressing room capable of being towed with my 1/2 ton truck.  I can also see around it using regular mirrors and it feels like it tracks well behind my truck.


I went ahead with the purchase when I saw the condition it was in.  The original owners had stripped it down the the frame, replaced the axles and cross members, the floor all the way back to front, and painted and sandblasted the exterior.  It also has new tires, new brakes, and a new jack.  



The only thing that needs some work is the horse area, it's mostly cosmetic but rust is a cancer and if you don't prevent it from spreading it will eat your trailer.  I plan on using a rust killer on the rust parts and painting the inside back to white.  There is a bit of damage on the right side in the horse area but it doesn't affect anything structural.  Regardless, I am going to have someone weld a bit there just to fix it up.  I am also going to have some of the exterior lights replaced with LEDs to make it more noticeable at night.  I'm even considering getting a full length butt bar so I can remove the divider and just haul one horse.



No pictures of the dressing room as I keep forgetting but it's big enough to put my stuff in.

I'm VERY excited!  I even towed it the 40 miles home last week without hitting anything!!!!

2 comments:

  1. nice wheels. I like the idea of removing the divider. Now for me to find my new trailer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! That's a great find!

    ReplyDelete

March has jokes

 My enthusiasm to ride has vanished again. Instead of riding I've been working on teaching the baby horses to tie.  Great drama ensued. ...