Thursday, January 9, 2014

Barn Care and the Polar Vortex

Well, I'm pretty close to selling all the horses by the pound.  I'm going to start with the one that was jumping back and forth over the fence as I was trying to repair it (teach a horse to event it uses that skill against you)



and the one that apparently doesn't know how to jump at all (Hello hanging legs! Goodbye fence!).



Then move on to the 2yo who clocked me in the face so hard I saw stars.  We had a RESPECT! session and now he will not come any closer then the end of his leadrope.  Which is fine by me.





So temps dropped to -14 this week but the horses still had to get fed.  First I had to get to the barn.  Which meant getting dug out of this




and this getting towed out.  Who knew you could spin your tires so hard you blew one and set your car on fire?





This is the washrack after the hot water heater kicked the bucket and dumped water all over the place and I couldn't get the door open to dump frozen buckets and said SCREW IT!  You can see the heat lamp to prevent the spigots from freezing again.


These are the back up buckets for when I said SCREW IT to solid bricks of ice.  You can drink from the bucket I give you or SCREW IT!




This is the hose that had to be dragged in and out of the tack room every day to water horses.  Damn hose.


Here is the feedchart to make sure everyone gets fed.  Damn horses.

And the people chart to make sure everything gets done right, necessary when multiple people are helping out. YAYYY PEOPLE!


I made a list of all the horses and a basic description (damn those chestnut mares).  DAMN THE REST TOO!


All the feed is labeled  YEAH FEED!

 
Although I hope it's obvious that this is hay.  YAY HAY!
 
 
 
 
Hopefully things will get better next week because they can't really get any worse.
 


6 comments:

  1. I know the winter sucks but at least this post was humorous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know if you need help this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was unaware about the tire thing also. Who knew. It's too bad that's how you had to find out, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My way of finding out was looking out my window and going "HOLY CRAP!". The best part was the guy had borrowed the car from someone else. How do you explain "I set your car on fire in the middle of a blizzard?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I worked at a barn that the second highest trainer was a "4-h mom" that replaced me didn't know the difference between grass, grass\allfalfa mix, and straight allfalfa. And she's the one that replaced me

    ReplyDelete

March has jokes

 My enthusiasm to ride has vanished again. Instead of riding I've been working on teaching the baby horses to tie.  Great drama ensued. ...